Saturday, 22 September 2012

All Shakespeare's Plays... 37!


Week 37 is already upon us! And let me just tell you now – this week was ah-mah-zing. By the end of the meal I was literally sipping the broth out of the side of my bowl. Terribly unladylike to be sure, but it had to be done. If you’re a fan of steak, if you’re a fan of noodles, if you’re a fan of Asian styles, if you’re a fan of chilli or you’re just a fan of really tasty food – get on to this recipe. It is DIVINE. So let me explain to you just how wonderful Rib-Eye Stir Fry, Dan Dan Noodles and Chilled Hibiscus Tea really is…

Let me start with the steak. Beef cuts get a lot of love in this household. For starters, we know we have a little more than 30 minutes to prepare our meals since we started whipping them up on weekends, so we have time to show our steak a little tender love and care.  These particular steaks were treated first to a shower of spices (including some chinese five spice and hot szechuan seasoning), were then gently and carefully massaged with olive oil and were finally laid aside for a relaxing rest while the chaos of the world went by. And then when I was ready I lovingly took the steak and…..threw it into a screaming hot pan and watched that mother sizzle til I knew it would be delicious. And it was. It truly was. Once it was cooked it got seasoned with a little garlic, chilli and lime before being sliced up and served with the noodles and greens.



Ah yes, the greens. They seem fairly simple but they never fail to disappoint. The prep for this part of the meal was relatively simple - the greens themselves just get thrown into some boiling water and left to do their thing. Meanwhile you go about dressing the plate. (I have learned the Mr Oliver enjoys dressing all manner of serving ware before adding your key ingredients. It hasn’t let me down so far, so maybe he is onto something here!). The plate gets a coating of black bean sauce, lime juice and a couple of other bits and pieces before the greens are laid on top. Simple, fresh and delicious (and terribly nutritious!).



The noodles were so simple, you just throw them into the already-boiled water you prepared the greens in, let them be and then serve them up! The serving bowls are dressed as well – with a number of ingredients including chilli oil, spring onions, garlic, soy sauce… Basically the most delicious concoction of things you’ll ever taste. You top it with the noodles, give it a stir and then allow your guests to create their own version of the stir fry. Between a choice of steak, greens and some extras on the side, they can have whatever they want! (I chose a healthy dose of every possible ingredient, including some extra raw chilli – I highly recommend this combination!). The broth from the noodles tastes soooo good when it mixes with all the ingredients in the bowl – I can’t describe it, you’re just going to have to trust me on this one (or make it for yourself!).



Served up alongside all of that is the admittedly far less attractive but equally delicious chilled hibiscus tea. Or in our case, chilled jasmine tea. Again, something really easy to throw together that ends up being super flavoursome and refreshing. Definitely a winner for a summer’s day, or even just a nice little pick-me-up of an afternoon.



And that’s another week done and dusted! This meal is definitely going on the favourites list – I can’t wait to make this one again. Next week we’re in for something I’ve never had before – Super-Fast Beef Hash, Jacket Potatoes, Goddess Salad and Lovely Butter Beans & Bacon. Sounds awesome and I am really looking forward to it!

Until next week – Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment