Wednesday, 15 August 2012

A Balmy 32 Degrees in Paradise


Week 32 has come on quite quickly after a late-week session of week 31. Tonight we had the pleasure of cooking and devouring Sea Bass & Crispy Pancetta, Sweet Potato Mash, Asian Greens, 1-Minute Berry Ice Cream and Sparkling Lemon Ginger Drink. No complaints about this meal, in fact I even managed to tolerate a small amount of coriander (cue the shock and horror!!). Here’s how we did it…

The fish was interesting from the start. Sea Bass isn’t as readily available here in the southern hemisphere as I assume it to be in the north, so I substituted it with a bit of barramundi. I suggested to the fish monger that this might be the best possible trade-off and after staring at me blankly for a moment he shrugged and offered me a non-committal “um…yeah” and went about picking out fillets for me. Naturally I was filled with confidence at my selection.  But as it turns out, I was right and it tasted delicious. That’s one point to Head Chef!

After getting the fillets home we had a variety of adventures in cooking them, including the skin crisping up so deliciously that it decided to become a single entity with the pan. Not ideal, but a bit of scraping with a spatula sorted that out. Then came the smoke, pouring out of the fish which clearly objected to being gently separated from the pan. But hey, by the end of it we had lovely fish, with fantastic flavour and some yummy pancetta to go with it!



The sweet potato mash was deliciously easy to make, as we were once again amazed by Mr Oliver’s microwave tricks. Just throw sweet potato into a dish with some lime, wrap it up tight in cling wrap and let the microwave do its thing! Super simple, and when you mixed it on a board dressed with coriander, mango chutney, chilli and a couple of other bits and pieces you get a really fresh, zesty, yummy mash to compliment your fish. Delish!



It is no secret that I am a huge fan of greens, and in particular dressed greens. So I think I’ll just scoot right over that dish this week (it was yum, until you cook it yourself that is all you need to know!) and settle right into dessert. When the book says it is 1 Minute ice cream, that is not a joke. You throw all the ingredients into a food processer, whizz it, then serve. Dead easy, super light and tasty, and to top it off it is pretty much the best homemade ice cream I have ever had. So if that isn’t incentive enough to give this recipe a go, I don’t know what will be!



Next week I’m going to have my mind blown (well, I hope I will) by Asian-Style Salmon, Noodle Broth, Beansprout Salad and Lychee Dessert! And to make things extra special, the meal will be held in honour of Dear Housemate’s birthday. So I think next week, the magical number 33, will be one to look forward to!

Until then – Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment