First up, the shopping. I usually set aside a budget of about $50-$70 for challenge dinners, knowing that I'll need to buy all fresh vegies, meat/fish, spices and anything else I don't have in the cupboard. But this week was a real surprise! I had a lot of the spices already stored up from previous dinners, the fish ended up costing me about $25 all up and then I only needed a few basic bits of veg to get me through. All up it cost just under $50 to put on the whole meal, working out to about $12.50 a serve. $12.50 a serve for a filling and delicious seafood dinner! Worth every penny. The other great thing about shopping this week was that when I went to the fish market they actually had everything I needed, as I needed it. Skinned, pin-boned, de-bearded, scrubbed... it has probably been the easiest trip there so far. Often I find myself madly googling fish substitutions while I stand there, ankle-deep in ice and fish scales, trying to figure out what the Australian translation or substitution is. Not this time!
As I mentioned earlier, this is by far one of the simplest dishes that I've cooked in this challenge. Pretty much everything gets cooked in the container that you serve it in (tagine, roasting tray, serving dish, etc) so there's very little mess in terms of dishes! The tagine was dead easy to make, given that you basically throw all the ingredients into the pot, stir it for a few minutes and then pop the lid on and leave it be. It also looks super impressive when it is almost ready, with the contrast of the lovely red of the sauce and the rich dark shine of the mussels. Having never eaten mussels before I wasn't sure what to expect, but I can say that this dish has made me a fan! They look cool, they taste great and the cooking is so simple that they pretty much take care of themselves. I recommend this one!
The salad was ridiculously simple also, all it took was a whole lemon and some fennel thrown into a food processer, then topped with salt, pepper and olive oil. Seriously, thats all it is. (Unless of course you include the coriander, which I did not. You all know why). It is fresh, light and goes perfectly with the meal. I used to really loathe fennel, but I have to say I've really come to enjoy it (at least in this format). I think I'll be making it a lot more often when summer rolls around, it would be perfect with a bbq meal! And the couscous was so simple it barely deserves a mention. It was as easy as putting it in a serving dish, pouring water and olive oil over it, covering it for five minutes and then giving it a stir. Done!
And that is it! Next week we get the pleasure of taking on a more Eastern European-inspired meal when we put together Smoked Salmon, Beets & Cottage Cheese, Potato Salad, Rye Bread AND Homemade Butter! I can't wait for it, the images in the book make it look so tasty, and also it is the middle of winter here and sometimes there is nothing more satisfying than a hearty european meal!
Until then - Bon Appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment