Dear Housemate took charge this week from start to finish, including the shopping, planning, cooking, photography and even writing the post! I was absent from this week's meal entirely (and none too pleased that I had to miss out!), so I'm experiencing it through the blog - just like you guys get to each week! To see how it all went, check it out below...
Guest blogger time!! Due to Head Chef's nut allergy, we thought it would be best for her to stay far away from this meal. So I'm flying solo for tonight's dish of Chicken Skewers, Firey Noodle Salad and Fruit & Noodle Salad. To be completely honest, I went into this expecting a huge fail. I'm not the best cook and usually avoid it if possible (I am, however, an excellent dishwasher!) so I gave myself heaps of preparation time and started with the satay sauce.
The sauce was extremely easy to make. All the ingredients whacked together in the food processor and bam! This was where I had my first freak out of the meal. The sauce had a strong citrus taste, due to the zest of 2 limes and the juice of 1 lime. And I may have added too much soy sauce (I need actual measurements Jamie, not these silly 'lugs'!). To counteract it, I added some more peanut butter and hoped for the best. The taste was still strong and not like the typical satay sauces that you get in restaurants. I was keen to see how my guests for the night would enjoy it. My family love Thai food, so who better to have dinner with.
The next task was the chicken skewers. I hate raw chicken with a passion and it usually takes me forever to cut it. So for this, I decided to just get on with it. And the skewer trick is pretty handy, except when the skewer breaks! By this stage, the family had arrived and no matter how many times I told him to relax, my dad joined me in the kitchen to lend a hand. I let him deal with the chicken once I had marinated it with the satay sauce.
Next to make was the Firey Noodle Salad. Red onion, chili and a range of sauces was the base for this interesting salad. The taste of these ingredients is amazing with a nice kick at the end. Tossed with egg noodles and cashews makes it even tastier.
This is a hands-on type of affair. Everyone built their own parcels with lettuce, noodles and chicken pieces. It was a really refreshing meal. And any reservations I had about the sauce disappeared once everything was combined. I also think the extra bit of peanut butter helped!
The Fruit and Mint Sugar consisted of a platter of pineapple and blueberries and the mint sugar. The mint was grounded into paste and then the caster sugar. It had a sweet taste and the mint wasn't overpowering. The sugar was sprinkled over the fruit platter and served with Greek yoghurt. For someone who doesn't like pineapple, this was always going to be the interesting part of the meal. But as with most Jamie nights, I was surprised to say I enjoyed it. With the addition of the sugar, the pineapple didn't have the usual strong sweet taste.
So another recipe down and another awesome dinner. Next week is Stuffed Cypriot Chicken, Pan-Fried Asparagus & Vine tomatoes, Cabbage Salad, St Clement's Drink and Vanilla Ice Cream Float.
And I'm happy to report that the much better cook and blogger will be back next week - no nuts in the next recipe!
Dear Housemate
So there you have it guys. She didn't do too bad at all! In fact I'm rather impressed. Hope you enjoyed this week's post, and until next time - Bon Appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment